Friday, July 3, 2009

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Today I visited a different crèche than Sakingomso. My advisor and I decided that the research would achieve better results if I spent a day at each crèche before I actually did the interviews. Sometimes this will help with the questions because the principals do not always understand what I am saying and they will often nod yes as if they do. The crèche I went to today was called Zamukhanyo. It means with clear eyes they can see the light. When the principal tried to explain the meaning to me she used a metaphor; she said it was like using a torch to light a fire and that by equipping the children with social, academic, mental, and other skills she would be giving the children the tools to create opportunities for themselves. The principal at Zamukhanyo was called Nburito. This crèche was far superior to Sakhingomso. They were housed in an actual building, the outside play area was cleared of all sharp objects, and they had an actual set curriculum. The kids were also much cleaner. I was less apprehensive to touch these children as they looked healthier. They were also very well behaved and loved to play with me. None of the kids tried to hit me here and they all played very nicely together. At Sakhingomoso, the kids fed each other sand, slapped, and hit each other. All the kids refer to me as “missy” at Zamukanyo. I wonder if they know that I do not understand a word they say to me because they still call for me and ask me questions and tattle on the other kids. Most of my interaction with the kids was during recess. All of them wanted me to push them on swings. When I pushed them I would say “wee” as they flew up into the air. Than all the children started to copy me and say “wee” every time someone was swinging. Then I got on the swings and all the kids surrounded the swing and they all wanted to push me. They also wanted me to pick all of them up and throw them in the air after they slid down the slide. I was getting so tired but they kept calling for “missy.” I have picked up some of the words and phrases they use in the classroom. I do not really know what I am saying but all the kids respond. I do not think they kids really understand the meaning of the English words they are saying either. One kid sometimes chanted “there is a fire in the mountain” and when he says this all the kids respond with something in Xhosa while running around in circle around the playground.

Later on in the day the cook walked me down the street in the township. These were moments when I felt increased anxiety and uneasiness. The glares that I get just look so suspicious. Sometimes I think I blend because of my brown skin and braids so I assume they cannot tell I am a foreigner. But other times I feel as if they “just know.” Of course as soon as I open my mouth and say hello, everyone knows, so I try and stay quiet and just act like I know what I am doing and where I am going. As we were walking to the corner store, I saw a man outside his shack cutting the heads off of goats and chickens. They eat the head here. Actually they eat every part of the animal, eyeballs and all. It was a little bit freaky to see this because blood was still leaking out off the heads they were all just sitting in a pile. When I got back to crèche and they offered me chicken for lunch, I simply could not eat it. I was sickened by the sight of the animal heads.

6 comments:

  1. I see you have your work cut out at the first school. I guess you will have lost some weight by yhe time you get home.Love you Goose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that's digusting, I would've turned down the chicken too lol. That's great that you get to work with the children too. Well stay on your grind. In the mean time I'll be missing you until you return to the farm.

    Shataya

    ReplyDelete
  3. What did you do on the 4th of July.?
    Goose

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to my coworkers apartment from Yale and had a barbecue and then I went to bed early.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some people told me that the meats in the township would be the most clean and natural. This may be true but my mind and my personal observations tell me different. The animals in the townships are always eating trash and I would think that the animals would need to clean a certain way before you can eat them....

    ReplyDelete