Friday, July 24, 2009

July 24, 2009 MIDSUMMER REPORT

Volunteering at SAEP has been as much rewarding as it is challenging. My first days at the organization were filled with frustration due to the work culture of a non-profit organization. It was a totally new experience characterized by a more relaxed atmosphere. I was welcomed not with a tour of the office or any formal lunch dates to get to know the staff but instead a 200 page binder that provided background on my research and explained what I would be doing for the next 9 weeks. Having worked at an international corporation the summer before, my expectations of the work environment were very different. The internet often doesn’t work, the computers are over a decade old, there is limited office space, and I was given no direction for anything. My first few days at SAEP were filled with aggravation but it has made me more resourceful during my time here.

As I have gotten more acclimated to the work environment, my research which involves visiting the crèches (pre-schools) gave me a more rewarding experience. My project is to provide SAEP follow-up research on the status of each crèche. The information I am collecting includes inventory, finances, registration and requirements, and other basic needs that should be fulfilled by each crèche so that they can eventually act independently of SAEP. My research will better assist SAEP in deciding what areas of each crèche most need assistance in order for them to “graduate” from SAEP. More specifically, my work is part of the Early Childhood Development section of SAEP. The most difficult part of my project has been the language barrier. Sometimes it is difficult for the principals to understand my questions. They often just nod their heads and say yes even when they do not understand instead of asking me to rephrase the question or statement. The office etiquette is somewhat different and often unpredictable. The principals will often arrange meetings and not be there when I arrive or sometimes we have our meetings out in the middle of the playground instead of in the office.

I go out to a township known as Phillipi on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays of each week. My Mondays and Fridays are used to document my interviews with the principal. I usually spend one day at each crèche just observing their daily habits and schedule and then I come a second time and interview the principal. My days at the crèches are often spent helping the staff cook, playing with the children, some cleaning. Some crèche principals have asked me to help make them make phone calls to places like the Department of Education so that they can fulfill the requirements to become an official school. My main crèche is known as Sackingomso Educare. This is where I have gotten to know the children and the staff the most. Although I have spent the most time here; however, it is always a challenge to learn the children’s African names. Sometimes the kids laugh at me when I try to say the clicks in their names. The children do not know very much English so my authority as their “Sisi” (Sister/Teacher) is somewhat limited.

Lastly, my development has been a very important part of my summer. I keep a weekly blog to track my progress and document my thoughts and reactions. I have also incorporated my coworkers and my roommates to help me achieve my goals. I get a lot of feedback in both settings. While I am confident that I will achieve my work goals by the end of my 9 weeks, my personal development has been the most difficult and I do not feel they will be fully achieved. Progress feels slow for my personal development plan but the community I have developed since I have been here have been very encouraging and often remind me that I have conquered the first step of recognizing things I need to work on as well as being aware of my goals in every setting. I will continue to keep you all posted on my experiences and progress in Cape Town.

3 comments:

  1. Brittni,

    I cannot begin to describe how incredibly proud of you I am. As I sit here at the office, overlooking what seems to be the entirety of NW Washington, D.C., I can't help but think how far along you have come in such a short amount of time. Though I am only able to monitor this progress through your blog and via AIM texts, I still get a reassuring feeling that your mission has been nothing but successful thus far. Trust me, I know how hard it is-- living in a completely different place, working in an environment so unfamiliar you have no choice but to adapt. But remember that all of these things are slowly, but surely, contributing to your personal development.

    I am so happy that you are being first-handedly exposed to things that you may not have received a full understanding of merely through books. It seems you are continuing to blossom, and have gained a new outlook on life. We've always been close, but your experiences are adding an incredible dimesion to our friendship. My time spent in Africa has been filled with a lot of learning, disbelief, admiration, and of course fun... all of which I'm sure you are experiencing.

    I can't wait to hear more :)
    I miss you, and wish I could be there with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this blog it really let me know what you are doing . Oprah needs to goto your area and hive them some help . Or someone with money.
    Love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel! I love you. Thanks for commenting and thanks so much for reading :)

    ReplyDelete