Friday, June 26, 2009

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Today when I woke up we had had another power outage. The wind and the rain have been so bad that the power has been constantly going out. I couldn’t get to work today because my driveway was surrounded by water. I really need some rain boots but they are sold out everywhere. Luckily, Janine is the best landlord ever and just drove me to work. Work was pretty much slow today because I did not go out to the crèche, and instead worked on my development plan for the summer. The rain has destroyed my freshly permed hair too. I look like a frizz ball at this point but I am getting my hair braided and it only cost R250 (about $25); I feel like I am robbing them because the price in the US would be more like $250.

Later the interns at my job had a Christmas party at their lodge in honor of the cold weather and because June 25 marks exactly 6 months, half way point, until Christmas. Everyone was supposed to make a dish or bring something. Me and another intern, Hannah, made ginger bread cookies from scratch. While we were making cookies my roommates finally arrived in Cape Town!!! Thank goodness. Life will be so much easier, cheaper, and safer with more people. My roommates names are Sarah and Liese, both go to Stanford University as well. By the time we had all arrived to the Christmas party, everyone was really drunk and only one full chicken and some gravy was left….We ate the chicken and had the ginger bread cookies as our sides…yum…We also had a gift exchange with a R20 ($2.50) budget. Me and Hannah picked out a goldfish for someone and named it Rudolph. The gift exchange was finished early after a boy threw up as he was opening his gift…..Liese, Sarah and I left shortly after…

11 comments:

  1. I hope Rudolph didn't get any of the upset stomach! It's June and you are having a Christmas party....it seems time is moving so fast and it will be Christmas soon! So another hot day in Dallas of 103. Yes hot hot hot. Send some cold temps our way!! SMILE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be safe over there. I guess by now you know Michael Jackson is dead. Hate to see the frizz.
    Love

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is the weather there like. Is it winter there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Iam 77 today .Yhanks for my birthday present.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love you and I am very, very proud of my wonderful granddaughter. Keep up the good work. I wish that I could have had some of the opportunity that you have had.Not afraid to go out into the world,
    Your one and only Goose

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Brittni Dixon-Smith. Hope all is well with you. It is 100 degrees in South Carolina. JR is back with me and doing a whole lot of nothing. I had a garage sale today. I made $177. No beanie babies! LOL

    Send pictures of your braids.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lets write some more for me to enjoy youtrip. I feel like I am there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The weather is really cold... but the last two days have been sunny but still not warm enough to leave the house without a jacket an scarf. I try and upload the blogs as soon as possible but I do not have internet at home so I write them but do not get to upload until I have work. Mommy, what did you sell at the garage sale? AND HAPPY BELATED GOOSE! I really need to get a calling card.... Rudolph is probably dead now....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I sold the 27 inch Fisher TV! Whoopee. I sold some clothes. Some purses. Some knick knacks. I need to sell more. The TV was the highlight though. Did not have to pack it back.

    STOP DRINKING!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU ARE 20 YEARS OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM GOING TO SPANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is an article in Essence Magazine about students from DC that went to South Africa to work. I will send it to you.

    How are you? I got the cute postcard. It looked just like you!!!!

    I will mail your box today.

    Mommy

    ReplyDelete